Lower Elementary
109 Veterans Memorial Dr., Kosciusko, MS

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question about our school’s policies and procedures, chances are you’re not the only one. We’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions below, and you  may review our student handbook for more details. Of course, you are always welcome to give us a call with additional questions or concerns you might have.

How do I register my child for school?

To register, please bring to the district office:

  • your child’s certified birth certificate
  • a Mississippi immunization certificate
  • two proofs of residence
  • the student’s social security number

Our office assistants will be happy to help you with all other necessary paperwork there. District policy states that kindergarteners must be five years old on or before September 1 of that school year, and first graders must be six on or before September 1. For your convenience, we hold registration days at Lower Elementary each year in May for the upcoming year.

Back to Top

Is it okay to visit my child at school?

We encourage you to visit the school and to keep in touch with the teachers on a regular basis. If you plan on coming to school, stop in the office first to sign in. Please let the staff know where you’re going and how long you plan on being at school. They may have special instructions for you or may need to contact the teacher to prevent classroom interruptions. To help us ensure every child’s safety, please follow these procedures every time you come to school.

Back to Top

What are the school hours?

School begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m.

Back to Top

What is the earliest time I can drop my child off at school, and may I walk my child to his/her classroom?

Students may begin arriving at 7:15 a.m. We consider students who arrive after 7:45 a.m. as tardy and require students to sign in at the office prior to reporting to class. As students arrive, they should report to their grade’s hallway and wait until the bell rings. We request that parents/guardians do not walk their children to class after the first week of school. This helps our hallways to stay clear and ensures the safety of the children.

Back to Top

How do I set up a conference with my child's teacher?

If you would like to speak with a teacher, he/she will be available after school for conferences; please call the school office for an appointment. Please note that we schedule all conferences for after 3:10 p.m.

Back to Top

May I send snacks or treats to school for my child?

During certain times of the year, teachers may give special permission for treats or snacks. If your child has a special occasion coming up and you would like to send treats for the entire class, please speak with your child’s teacher to make arrangements. We do not allow candy or gum on school property.

Back to Top

Does Lower Elementary have an honor roll?

Yes! We love to encourage our students to do their very best! Honor roll starts at Lower Elementary in the first grade. We have two different honor rolls for students who maintain an average of at least 85% in all subjects. The Superintendent’s Honor Roll is for students receiving all A’s during a term; the Principal’s Honor Roll is for students receiving A’s and B’s.

We also choose one outstanding student from each homeroom every term. This is a great honor, and we recognize these students in the local newspaper, the school newspaper, and on the outstanding student list displayed in the school. Homeroom teachers select one student based on the following criteria:

  1. Attendance
  2. Grades improvement
  3. Citizenship
  4. Conduct
  5. Attitude
Back to Top

My child is super smart. Do you have a program that could challenge him?

The Kosciusko School District provides testing for students in second through eighth grade identified as intellectually gifted through the Quest program. Each spring, we screen students in the first, second, and third grades for possible referral to the program. Students must have a referral to qualify for testing. If your child qualifies for testing, we will notify you in writing, and we will need your permission before we can test your child. If your child does not receive a referral and you would like us to test him/her, please contact your child’s teacher by January. For more information about giftedness, please visit Hoagies' Gifted Education.

Back to Top

Can my child wear shorts to school?

Yes, we allow students to wear shorts at least mid-thigh in length. We do not permit students to wear mini-skirts, halter tops, or see-through blouses. Students may not wear clothing with suggestive slogans, vulgarity, or the advertisement of drugs, alcohol, and violence. We have banned all WWF/NOW and South Park clothing/gear.

Back to Top

My child lost his/her book. What should we do?

First, check the lost and found in the office. If it he/she doesn’t find it there, we will assess a fine for its replacement. All textbooks are the property of the Kosciusko School District.

Back to Top

We’ll be going out of town. Can my child make up the work he will miss?

If you know your child will be absent, please notify his/her teacher and the school office as soon as possible. When you return, send a signed note to your child’s homeroom teacher to excuse the absence; your child may make up any work he/she missed during all excused absences. If you notify the teacher in advance, you may be able to pre-collect your child’s work. A student may not make up school work missed during unexcused absences.

Back to Top

What if my child becomes sick at school? What do I need to do if my child needs medication during school hours?

If your child becomes ill at school, we will contact you as soon as possible. If you are not available, you may designate someone else to pick up your child.

To receive medication during the school day, we require students to bring their medicine labeled in its original container along with an authorization form to their teacher. The teacher or assistant teacher will administer medication(s) to the student. We require parents or guardians to complete and sign a “medication authorization form” for all medications. For long-term medicines, we require a “physician authorization form.” Look for these forms in the school office. The only exception to this rule is for children with asthma; they may carry and use asthma medications at will. The school district will not incur any liability of injury as a result of a student’s self-administration of asthma medications. (MS Code of 1972).

Back to Top